Until 1872, on the site of this residence, were the gardens of the Benedictine women’s abbey “Le couvent St Laurent” (now the Abbey’s residential flats).
The revolution saw the sale of the land and Mr. Alphonse-Joseph Charmeil, professor of drawing at the Collège Royal de Bourges and founder of the Musée de Bourges, of which he was the curator for nearly 50 years, had this original Napoleon III style residence built.
In 1878, he had a kiosk and two pavilions added to the garden. These pavilions were originally the choir tower of the church of St Pierre Le Marché built in 1760 (now the church of Notre Dame).
This decoration is still present in its original facing and has been registered as a Historic Monument since 2007.